Who Wants to Rock?

Randall, Homework, NK, Chazzy and Vick are a gaggle of middle-age rock and rollers who, each month, attend several free rock and roll shows at the Mohegan Sun Wolf Den. Some may call this virile collection of man-meat "losers", and that may be accurate, but they sure can rock...oh, how they can rock.

LOU GRAMM - Rock Log 090812


WARNING!  This Review is Rated PG-17

Lou Gramm makes the trip to Uncasville every year.  We make the trip to see him every year.  It is the same show every year; same set, same mediocre band, same lifeless crowd...but that was yesterday.

Randall, Homework, Paulie and I caught former Foreigner front man Lou Gramm, who has made it pretty clear that he needs the cash and that is why he continues to tour upwards of thirty shows annually.  He has historically been a relentless hawker of his merch.  But tonight was pleasing different.  Lou was not about the money tonight.  Lou wasn't about taking no shit tonight.  He all but said "I am the captain of the Good Ship Kick Ass and if you don't want to rock, then get the fuck off my boat".  I'm paraphrasing.

The night began with a strong rendition of Double Vision as does every Lou show.  But the similarity to past shows ended shortly.  Lou entered about thirty seconds into the musical interlude and he was pissed off.  Somebody got under his skin and his only method of coping was the blow the roof off the Den.  He practically stated "Grab your lance and board my mighty rock and roll steed because tonight I am going to rape and pillage Ye Olde Wolf Den, no pussies shall there be".  I am paraphrasing. 

It was an unprecedented eighty minute show of non-stop classics, only one song I did not know. You cannot conceive of how many hits this guy has until you see him live.  The musical highlight was I Want to Know What Love Is, which included a full eight member youth ensemble joining in the vocals.  My favorite was the poppy Just Between You and Me, which captured Lou's full range.  Lou was full of energy, only taking one eight minute break while his drummer brother Ben had his solo.  Nobody likes a drum solo, nobody.  But nothing could ruin Sir Lou's night.  High notes, low notes, screams, he was dead on.  I noticed only one crack in the voice, but I feel guilty even mentioning it.  He was that good.  Noticeably absent was Live Without Your Love, but I ain't complainin'. 

Also noticeably absent tonight was Lou's endless pandering of his merch, which we frankly love.  But again, tonight Lou was not about the money.  Lou almost came out and said "merch don't mean shit, I'm all about melting your fucking skulls tonight".  Again, not factually accurate, but I perceived that to be his non-verbal intent.

This is the first Lou show for Paulie at the Den, second for me and Homework and fourth for Randall.  Neither of us thought we needed to go, but we were damn glad we did.  Well done Lou, it felt like the first time.

Vick

PS: sorry for the foul language, but the blame goes to Lou Gramm

No comments:

Post a Comment