Who Wants to Rock?

Randall, Homework, NK, Chazzy and Vick are a gaggle of middle-age rock and rollers who, each month, attend several free rock and roll shows at the Mohegan Sun Wolf Den. Some may call this virile collection of man-meat "losers", and that may be accurate, but they sure can rock...oh, how they can rock.

GIN BLOSSOMS - Rock Log 081812



The Gin Blossoms invaded The Den tonight with their high-spirited pop-rock bonanza.  Joining me for the show were Randall, NK, Lady Vick and Tofu Steve.  This is the second GB show for me and Randall.  We anticipated a strong crowd, so I arrived at 6:45, getting the last remaining spot on the glass.  Settled and ready the show began at 8:00.

Every once in a while you run across a band that you know, but forgot exactly how many hit songs they had.  The Gin Blossoms are definitely that.  The set was fully of energetic songs all performed well.  Songs we all knew were "Until I Fall Away", "Found Out About You", "Allison Road", "Til I Hear It from You", and the ballad that kept the kept the crowd swaying "As Long as It Matters".  I personally thought the two best songs of the night were “Pieces of the Night” and “Wave Bye Bye”.

The band was good.  I did notice that guitarist Jesse Valenzuela missed a few missed chords during certain songs, but largely this is a polished group.  However the key the Gin Blossoms live is Robin Wilson.  According to Randall, and it is an apt description, “he is a little monkey”.  Basically, with most shows if you want a piece of the lead singer, you need to rush the stage.  At a GB show, there is no avoiding Wilson, he’ll come to you.  He sang from on the stage, on top of tables, on chairs, walking through the crowd, on the faux-rocks and even bar-top, which is where Randall, NK and I gave the man some skin.  Not that kind of skin, though the Jersey Housewife to my left certainly was willing to give Wilson what Wilson wanted (alliteration – four consecutive words with the same beginning letter, well crafted, I know).  I was truly entertained watching him and feel he is the best front man I have seen at The Den.

I was a bit surprised at 9:05 when there was a brief discussion on stage between the band mates after which Wilson announced “I just called and audible”, right before playing “A Million Miles” and then exiting.  Sure they returned for a great finale of “Follow You Down”, but the show still ended at 9:18, twelve minutes shy of the expected.  What was the audible and why the short show?  Thought about asking for my money back, but……

This is one of my favorite annual shows in Uncasville.  I will not miss them upon their return and neither should you.  Great music, high-energy lead guy, and plenty of forty-something women headed for Lukewarm City as Hot Town is clearly in their rearview mirror.

Vick

No comments:

Post a Comment