Who Wants to Rock?

Randall, Homework, NK, Chazzy and Vick are a gaggle of middle-age rock and rollers who, each month, attend several free rock and roll shows at the Mohegan Sun Wolf Den. Some may call this virile collection of man-meat "losers", and that may be accurate, but they sure can rock...oh, how they can rock.

ELVIS TRIBUTE SPECTACULAR - Rock Log 082111


Tonight the undisputed King of Rock and Roll took the stage at The Den, albeit in tribute form.  Shawn Klush, dubbed "the closest thing to the king", was chosen by Graceland as the winner of Elvis Presley Enterprises’ first ever Ultimate Tribute Artist Contest, so I knew I was seeing the best.

I arrived five minutes before showtime and the house was absolutely jammed.  I had not seen a crowd that large in quite some time.  The composition ran the gamut with no discernible age prevalent.  The show began with a song from the two original members of The Sweet Inspirations, Elvis' back-up singers.  The song was pedestrian, but since there lives intersected with the King, I paid them there just rewards.  Then Klush was announced.

I never saw Elvis live, but I have seen and heard enough of him to know that Gladys would not know the difference between her Baby E and Shawn Klush.  This guy was lights-out, slam-dunk, 100% Elvis.  It was borderline scary.  The movements, the voice the banter....Klush was amazing.  Though he can impersonate "early Elvis" or "peanut butter and banana sammich Elvis", Klush opted to replicate Elvis in Vegas.  Beginning with CC Rider and ending with An American Trilogy, this show was great.  For me, the highlights were A Little Less Conversation and Suspicious Minds, the latter was the longest song of the night and included several "arm whips", "head shakes" and "pelvic pumps". 

The sentimental highlight of the night was when 80 year old D.J. Fontana, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Elvis' original drummer, joined the band for three songs.  Fontana later returned to tell a few stories of the King.  Cool, but whatever.

Overall, if you like Elvis, then this was the show to see.  Klush nailed Presley to the point where at times it seemed as if the Sweet Inspirations thought the former was the latter.  I also realized this...the foremost aphrodisiac for a menopausal is not a healthy 401k as I previously thought, it is Elvis impersonation.  There were no less than ten stunning, and I do mean stunning, mid-fifties, grabbing at the King, holding his hand, rubbing is leg and fighting for his scarves.  If divorce ever befalls me, then my first post-marriage purchases will be a high quality Elvis suit, Jovan Musk and a tank full of gas for the trip to Naples, FL.

To Shawn Klush, I say thank you...thank you very much.

Vick

No comments:

Post a Comment