Who Wants to Rock?

Randall, Homework, NK, Chazzy and Vick are a gaggle of middle-age rock and rollers who, each month, attend several free rock and roll shows at the Mohegan Sun Wolf Den. Some may call this virile collection of man-meat "losers", and that may be accurate, but they sure can rock...oh, how they can rock.

BO BICE - Rock Log 091910


All day I wrestled with going to see 2005 American Idol runner-up Harold Elwin "Bo" Bice at the Wolf Den.  The dilemma morphed into a full-fledged conundrum when the rationale for going was the same for not going, that being "it's Bo Bice".  Ultimately I went, albeit solo.  I arrived four minutes before show time and got a good seat, stage right.  For those of you embarrassed to go to a restaurant by yourself, try saying "one, for Bice" to the hostess at the Den.

The show was a high octane blast on Mason-Dixon rock that actually set my foot a-tapping.  The first song was fitting, Take The Country Outta Me in which Bice held true to his roots proclaiming, "you can take me outta the country but you can't take the country outta me".  The concert was a mix of new and old stuff, but since I was unfamiliar with any of his stuff, it was all new.  Notable tunes included Wild Roses, Different Shades of Blue and The Real Thing.  Covers included Vehicle (Ides of March) and the encore Can't You See (Marshall Tucker), both done very well.

The band was tight with Rocky "Mask" Dennis on guitar, McLovin on keys, No Neck on drums and a young Michael Corleone on bass.  The centerpiece was Bice, who never let us forget that we are his family and he loves us.  Frankly, we loved him as he constantly played with his hair while prancing around in his Robert Plant nut-hugging dungarees.  A slew of 1978 prom queen runner-ups crowded the stage for the second half of the show.  I saw no celebrities of note.  Generally, every trip to the Den ends with a stop at Johnny Rockets.  However, I could eat nothing as I had already had a heapin' helpin' of humiliation with a side order of surreality. 

Overall, if asked to go again, I would.  Partly because it was good music and also because I am convinced that if the South should ever rise again, then the Confederacy will be led by General H. Bo Bice riding proudly atop his Southern Fried steed.  Three of five stars.

Rock on.

Vick

No comments:

Post a Comment